HOOPESTON — A vacant downtown building sustained about $40,000 to $50,000 in damage in a fire Sunday night.
The fire call came in a little before 7 p.m. Sunday.
Hoopeston Volunteer Fire Department Chief Cliff Crabtree said a man who lives above another downtown building smelled smoke and investigated.
Smoke was discovered coming from the rear of the building at 225 E. Main St., at Main and Market streets.
“There was heavy smoke coming out of the back,” Crabtree said.
The building had housed Kelly’s Pub. But the business had closed a few years ago and was now vacant.
Crabtree said he believes Community Bank of Hoopeston was doing repairs to the building to preserve it.
Crabtree said the fire started on the roof.
Earlier in the day, there was a torch down roofing type of repair being performed, Crabtree said.
He said it appears the roof got a little too hot with the blow torch, it smoldered all day and caused heavier smoke and the fire at night.
The fire was out by about 9 p.m. The 14 responding firefighters were back at the station by 10:30 p.m., Crabtree said.
Hoopeston firefighters received assistance from the Wellington and Rossville fire departments. Hoopeston Ambulance Service also was on standby.
The fire didn’t spread to other buildings; and there were no injuries.
“It was pretty chilly,” Crabtree said.
Several businesses opened up to keep the firefighters warm.
Salt also was used to help with water spots around the site.